SHORT TERM TRAINING IN PHACOEMULSIFICATION
This course was started in 2009 to train Ophthalmologists in manual PHACO. The objective of this course is to convert a SICS surgeon to perform PHACO with the help of a well-structured training program. Till date Tilganga had trained more than 50 ophthalmologists in PHACO.
Highlights of the course
- Highly qualified and skilled motivated mentors
- Wet lab (If necessary)
- Candidate will have training on pig eyes at the wet lab prior to performing real time surgery.
- Access to various standard and recent books and videos in the library.
- Post-operative review of cases by mentor.
- Hands on practice (Clinics, Theatre)
- Participation in Journal club/grand rounds/guest lectures
Orientation, familiarization with instruments, equipment's and Tilganga Team. Learning SOP and PHACO and wet lab exposure in extra OT time.
End of first week - Hands on training followed by discussion with tutor.
PHCO surgery in operating theatre of TIO, OPD, Post Op. patient- Management of post-op. patients. Discussion on outreach surgical clinic and its management
Learning SOP (Surgical Operating Procedure) for (PHACO with foldable IOL in TIO. Discussion on post-operative complication and its management.
Final discussion about the surgical technique and debriefing about complications and post-operative cases and Evaluation/ Monitoring of the program.
- No. of cases: 20 cases (depends on surgeon’s skill)
- Hands-on practice: 3 days a week
Qualified practicing Ophthalmologist with MD degree from a recognized university with good experience
in ECCE/IOL surgery ( at least 100+ SICS surgical experience)
Accommodation will be provided for the selected candidates based on their request. Candidates posted in TIO can stay at TIO'S Trainees Apartment. For candidates selected for other centers, accommodation is available at hotels/hostels.
For TIO: USD 20-30/day (for International candidates)
Lunch is served at the Canteen (local Nepalese menu) and trainees should prepare breakfast and dinner themselves. However, there are number of good restaurants located within walking distance.
Mode of Payment: Cash / Debit or Credit Cards
Admission / How to apply
Applicants are requested to download the application forms from the course information section, or you email on krishna.s[email protected] and send the completed form by email.
- Location: Tilganga Institute of Ophthalmology / Hetauda Community Eye Hospital
- Number of Seats: 2 per months (Starting Date: 1st of every month)
- Course In-Charge: Senior Ophthalmologist
- Phone Number: +97715970048
- Email: [email protected]
- Address: Gaushala, Kathmandu, Nepal