Manual Small Incision Cataract Surgery (SICS)
Short Term Training In Manual Small Incision Cataract Surgery (SICS)
This course was started in the Tilganga Institute of Ophthalmology to train Ophthalmologists in manual SICS. For ophthalmic Surgeons all over the world, manual SICS provides the ideal stepping stone to mastering phacoemulsification. The objective of this course is to convert an ECCE surgeon to perform SICS with the help of a well-structured training program. Till date, Tilganga had trained more than 355 ophthalmologists in SICS.
Highlights of the course
- Highly qualified and skilled motivated mentors
- Wet lab (If necessary)
The candidate will have training on pig eyes at the wet lab prior to performing real-time surgery.
- TIO has developed SOP and CDs for trainees.
- Access to various standard and recent books and videos in the library.
- Post-operative review of cases by a mentor.
- Hands-on practice (Clinics, Theatre, OMEC, and Cataract workshops)
- Participation in Journal club/grand rounds/guest lectures.
Orientation, familiarization with instruments, equipment and Tilganga Team. Learning SOP and manual on ECCE with IOL (SICS) and wet lab exposure in extra OT time.
End of the first week - Hands-on training followed by a discussion with tutor.
Learning SOP for ECCE with IOL in the operating theatre of TIO, OPD, Post Op. patient- Management of post-op. patients. Discussion on outreach surgical clinic and its management
Learning SOP (Surgical Operating Procedure) for ECCE (SICS) with IOL in TIO. Discussion on post-operative complication and its management.
Final discussion about the surgical technique and debriefing about complications and post-operative cases and Evaluation/ Monitoring of the program.
Qualified practicing Ophthalmologist with MD degree from a recognized university with good experience in ECCE/IOL surgery
No. of cases: 20 cases (depends on surgeon’s skill)
Accommodation will be provided for the selected candidates based on their requests. Candidates posted in TIO can stay at TIO'S Trainees Apartment. For candidates selected for other centers, accommodation is available at hotels/hostels.
For TIO: Please click here to view the information about tariff and other details of the trainee’s hostel
- USD 20-30/day (for International candidates)
Lunch is served at the Canteen (local Nepalese menu) and trainees should prepare breakfast and dinner themselves. However, there is a number of good restaurants located within walking distance.
The intimation will be sent to the selected candidates by email/post. Candidates can pay the course fee through wire transfer. Once paid, the fee is non-refundable for any reason.
Admission / How to apply
- Applicants are requested to download the application forms from the course information section and email send a completed form via email to [email protected]
- Location: Tilganga Institute of Ophthalmology/Hetauda Community Eye Hospital
- Number of Seats: 2 Per Months (Starting Date: 1st of every month)
- Course In-Charge:
- Phone Number: +977 1 597 0048
- Email: [email protected]
- Address: Gaushala, Kathmandu, Nepal